Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Field Trip

March 29, 2008



This week we had a PC realistic job preview. Pairs of PCTs were sent to current volunteer sites to shadow PCVs and get a feel for how the job looks day-to-day. We were on field trip from Wednesday to Saturday, and my site was in Errachidia Province, to the east of Ouarzazate. Wed and Sat were spent in transit (using transportation that varied from taxis to buses to transits-- more on these later), and the other days we tailed our PCV and explored the site. We also stayed with her to see how she lives. It was interesting because I went to a site where Tashelheet is not spoken, and people mainly use the other Berber dialect, Tamazight. As is often the case, I was confused a good deal of the time ;)



A lot of our focus as Health Educators will be on water sanitation and treatment. So our first day there, we were exploring the site a bit and climbed the town's water tower. Which sounds like fun, right? I thought so, until I was confronted with the means of achieving this ends: two rusty, antiquated ladders separated by a catwalk the allows access to the water in the top of the tower.



This adventure followed a conversation with my fellow PCT in which I nonchalantly asserted that I'm not really afraid of anything at all. I wasn't expecting ladders when I signed on for this Peace Corps thing, let me tell you. (In case you don't know, I'm really scared of ladders. Not heights, not climbing tall things in general, but ladders. Needless to say it took some intense motivation on my part to get up those ladders.)



Although not at first convinced of my fear, everyone saw the look of extreme discomfort on my face (even my giant sunglasses couldn't hide the wide-eyed fear ;) But... I did it! I made it to the top, and back down again without event. Pictures, as always, are forthcoming.











April 1, 2008



Language training has started up again after a week free of classes. Tash does not lend itself to such a hiatus. I need to study so much! But we're learning a lot and most of it seems to be falling into place, so that's a good sign.



Tonight I was on the roof of the hotel in Ouarzazate working out with a group of PCTs after class ended. We were doing lunges across the roof as the sun set over the Atlas, listening to some music as we exercised. Then the call the prayer started, and I was struck by the extraordinary circumstances of this workout. I mean, there we were doing something so seemingly ordinary. And then it hits me: I'm in Morocco. I'm in the freakin' Peace Corps. I have little moments like this all the time, it seems. Not that I can forget that I'm in Morocco, but after such a long process to actually get here (it really started what, six years ago?) I still can't believe I'm doing this.



It's a bit easier to believe when I'm in language class struggling to contain all the verbs and grammar. Not to mention pronunciation. If I could speak with a convincing accent, I'd be set!


So that's how things are going for now. We're back in class, and leave for CBT again this Saturday.


In the meantime we have workshops all week on topics relating to our future work: maternal and child health, SIDA (HIV/AIDS), and STIs, etc.


Then it's another week of homestay and language. And I'll try to stay healthy this time!

No comments: